Interview with Jackie Martling by Heeb Magazine


For 15 years Jackie “The Joke Man” Martling held the honorable title of Head Writer on The Howard Stern Show. From creating bits to writing quick comebacks for Howard to providing uncontrollable laughter, the Long Island-native left his unmistakable scent on the Show. (Some say it smelled like a baby’s diaper, but that’s an argument for another day.)


In March 2001, however, Martling left Stern after a contract squabble and was replaced with Artie Lange. (Lange has since become more of a Stern sidekick, while Benjy Bronk, who we interviewed here, has assumed much of Martling’s writing responsibilities.)



Since leaving the show, Martling has been making a living on the road and in bit movie parts in which he manages to exploit his encyclopedic arsenal of one-liners. Recently, he managed to put aside some time to talk to Heeb.



So what have you been up to lately, Jackie?

What a week I had. I was doing fine until I went to the proctologist on Friday. I think he was tripping on acid. He looked up my ass with a kaleidoscope… That’s my newest joke. I love it.



You know, I was the first lower-echelon comedian to have his own self-produced LP, What Did You Expect?, way back in 1979. Now I’m the last comedian to have a DVD, A Safe Distance from Genius). My sixth dirty joke CD, Snart, will be out on April Fool’s Day.



How’s the standup circuit treating you?

I work here, there, and everywhere from Atlantic City to small clubs. I love telling my jokes and especially love playing ‘Stump the Joke Man.’ It never gets old.



Have you run across anyone recently that you think should be on the radar for the comedy hall of fame, or do you think everyone sucks a fat one these days?
I headline my own shows, and there’s usually no one else on the bill. I don’t even like to have an opening act. I like to stretch out for 80 to 90 minutes. Because of that, I don’t get to see many acts. But, fuck it, let them all into the hall of fame. But what hall of fame? I’m still trying to get an honorable mention on Jews-R-Us.

Full Interview